Spring is one of my favorite times of year. It is so beautiful, especially here in
the Northwest where everything gets so green. I love all the flowers and new leaves and baby animals. All of those things are the perfect accompaniment to my idealistic personality. It seems I'm on quite a jag right now. If it's sentimental, romantic or cute, I'm watching it, writing it, reading it or looking for it. Here is something I wrote a few years ago. (Alisa, this one's for you.)
Blue Moments
Wendy Clark
4/12/01
I took one of those personality tests once. It was the kind that you answer 101 questions about yourself and then are given a color to categorize your personality. I scored pretty high on three of the four color categories but my highest score put me in the blue group.
Blue people are dreamers. They are hopeless romantics with a soft spot for three-hanky movies, cute and cuddly animals, awe-inspiring sunsets and sentimental ballads. A blue person would rather play with a child than clean house or take a leisurely walk in nature rather than run laps around a track. Creative, sensitive, passionate people belong to the blue group. Maybe you could call them the mush and gush of the human race.
I have a friend who is also an incurable blue person. She and I are more like sisters than friends but we got to skip all the sisterly tiffs and spats of having to grow up together. There probably aren’t two more blue people in the world. I think we have the market cornered on “ooohs”, “ahhhs” and “ohhhs”. We spend major portions of our time together sharing cute anecdotes, reflecting on the beauty of the great outdoors and discussing all things bright and beautiful. We refer to these times as “blue moments.” In true blue form, we created the “blue moment alert” for those times when we are just bursting to share some emotion tweaking, heart-string pulling event. Here is how typical blue moment alerts go:
HER: “Hurry and look out your back door to the west. The sunset is gorgeous!”
ME: “Wow! I’ve never seen one quite so intense.”
HER: “I love how it’s lighting up those clouds. They look like they’re on fire!”
ME: “And look how many shades there are! It goes from deep purple to bright red.”
HER: “Well, I’ve got to run. Just thought you would want to see that.”
ME: “I’m so glad you called me. Bye.”
HER: “Bye.”
ME: (After the closing song of general conference on TV) “Do you have chills?”
HER: “Yes! The hairs on my arms are standing straight up.”
ME: “That song was awesome! The organ was so powerful on those low notes.”
HER: “The choir sounded just like angels. Imagine being there in person!”
ME: “Well OK, Bye.”
HER: “Bye.”
Last week, on one of our daily walks, my friend spent almost the entire time reading me a metaphorical article about water-skiing and life and sharing excerpts from other articles as we walked. We were in awe of these excerpts, not just because of their important messages, but because they sounded so good when she read them, kind of like the letters in the movie “You’ve Got Mail.” Those letters about bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils and butterflies on the subway sound so good out loud. She read some of the excerpts twice. If that’s not blue, I don’t know what is.
On some days the blue moments are a little harder to see because I am wearing my gold personality, organized, got to stay on schedule glasses, or my orange personality, impulsive, run to and fro glasses. Today I’m going to give my friend a call. It’s snowing outside and it looks so pretty on the April blossoms. Time for a blue moment alert.
Wendy Clark
4/12/01
I took one of those personality tests once. It was the kind that you answer 101 questions about yourself and then are given a color to categorize your personality. I scored pretty high on three of the four color categories but my highest score put me in the blue group.
Blue people are dreamers. They are hopeless romantics with a soft spot for three-hanky movies, cute and cuddly animals, awe-inspiring sunsets and sentimental ballads. A blue person would rather play with a child than clean house or take a leisurely walk in nature rather than run laps around a track. Creative, sensitive, passionate people belong to the blue group. Maybe you could call them the mush and gush of the human race.
I have a friend who is also an incurable blue person. She and I are more like sisters than friends but we got to skip all the sisterly tiffs and spats of having to grow up together. There probably aren’t two more blue people in the world. I think we have the market cornered on “ooohs”, “ahhhs” and “ohhhs”. We spend major portions of our time together sharing cute anecdotes, reflecting on the beauty of the great outdoors and discussing all things bright and beautiful. We refer to these times as “blue moments.” In true blue form, we created the “blue moment alert” for those times when we are just bursting to share some emotion tweaking, heart-string pulling event. Here is how typical blue moment alerts go:
HER: “Hurry and look out your back door to the west. The sunset is gorgeous!”
ME: “Wow! I’ve never seen one quite so intense.”
HER: “I love how it’s lighting up those clouds. They look like they’re on fire!”
ME: “And look how many shades there are! It goes from deep purple to bright red.”
HER: “Well, I’ve got to run. Just thought you would want to see that.”
ME: “I’m so glad you called me. Bye.”
HER: “Bye.”
ME: (After the closing song of general conference on TV) “Do you have chills?”
HER: “Yes! The hairs on my arms are standing straight up.”
ME: “That song was awesome! The organ was so powerful on those low notes.”
HER: “The choir sounded just like angels. Imagine being there in person!”
ME: “Well OK, Bye.”
HER: “Bye.”
Last week, on one of our daily walks, my friend spent almost the entire time reading me a metaphorical article about water-skiing and life and sharing excerpts from other articles as we walked. We were in awe of these excerpts, not just because of their important messages, but because they sounded so good when she read them, kind of like the letters in the movie “You’ve Got Mail.” Those letters about bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils and butterflies on the subway sound so good out loud. She read some of the excerpts twice. If that’s not blue, I don’t know what is.
On some days the blue moments are a little harder to see because I am wearing my gold personality, organized, got to stay on schedule glasses, or my orange personality, impulsive, run to and fro glasses. Today I’m going to give my friend a call. It’s snowing outside and it looks so pretty on the April blossoms. Time for a blue moment alert.
To all my blue friends and family: Saps, unite! Let's hear about your blue moments!
7 comments:
mine said I was red (99)with a tad of white(.5) and yellow(.5).
so who knows maybe I should like red, but no I like the caribean blue! and guess who?
"Blue eyes. M'baby's got blue eyes..."
"Blue eyes. M'baby's got blue eyes..."
i'm all about inner conflict...i'm a BLUE-YELLOW!
I am still so Blue!! Reading this latest blog is great 'cause the endorphins start to come even when I'm just remembering the awesome sunsets, reflections off a pond, walking with great friends during the sunrise, etc. I can't wait 'till tomorrow to check out all the "blue moments" around me.
I read "The Kissing Hand" to Jack and Eden tonight before bed. After, I kissed both their hands and told them how much I loved them, then they had to kiss mine and tell me how much they loved me. It was a great "blue moment". I am VERY sentimental.
You and Leslie say I'm a blue!
Post a Comment