Monday, December 29, 2008

We're So Lucky!

We are so lucky!  We get to buy all this new stuff and get all these amazing opportunities!  And right during the fund draining Christmas season!  


1.  Two new tires!  Kelly discovered a flat tire on our van the week before Christmas.  He couldn't find the hole so he took it down to Les Schwab and found out it was irrepairable.  We got to buy two new tires!  They've been great for driving around in the snow.

2.  A screen door!  Sarah ran outside the day before Christmas when Kelly opened the door to let the cat in.  She terrorized a cranky neighbor's froo-froo dog with whom she has had one other run-in already.  We had to be proactive, lest the neighbors decide to call the police.  

3.  A new fridge!  I discovered our fridge and freezer were not working at 10 p.m. Saturday
 night.  Luckily, we have a fridge in the garage and caught it early or we would have lost a lot of food.  A repairman took a look at it today and determined that because of the age and the problems (yes, problem s), it would be best to buy a new one.  He was nice enough to tell us that the store Stupid Prices is owned by Sears and we could get a brand new Kenmore scratch and dent for half retail price with no tax.  Just what I wanted for Christmas! 

4.  Time off!  Because of Kelly's carpal tunnel surgery next month, he will miss out on over $800 in overtime at the Enumclaw Hospital that we usually count on.  But hey, I love having him home!

5.  Experience in creative cooking!  The night before the fridge broke, we picked up pizza from Papa Murphy's and popped it in the oven.  Fourteen minutes later, we had a doughy delight with partially melted cheese.  We ended up baking it at our neighbor's house.  I was going to have the repairman look at while he was here for the fridge but I was unwilling to pay for a second service call.  For now, we will just rough it without an oven.  If anyone knows of anyone experienced in appliance repair who would like to take a look, please call.  A batch of no-bake cookies awaits the blessed soul.

6.  Crash course in vacuum repair!  I tried to vacuum right before Christmas and noticed that the vacuum was not sucking properly.  After trying everything I usually do when it sucks less than desirably to no avail, I got online and learned how to take the entire thing apart (except the motor) and blew it clean with the air compressor.  Unfortunately, that wasn't really the problem.
While putting the shield back over the beater brush, I discovered that it wasn't getting pushed back in place all the way.  I had taken it off and put it back on at least 3 other times in my repair attempts.  The vacuum works fine now.

Come on over!  Maybe we can rub some of our good luck on you!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, Wendy! That is way more than your fair share of "good luck." We had a week like that right after we moved into our house - we broke the sliding door window and had an expensive plumbing leak the same week Grace was born. It was nuts. I had repair men at my house just a day or two after I was home from the hospital!! Those are the times I wonder why we weren't happier renting.

Come and use my oven anytime! And hopefully you can be DONE with all that good luck!

Shannon said...

Wendy...you gotta call me.
We recently bought new appliances to boost our house on the market. Now our old oven is in our garage and it needs a new home. It runs hotter than normal but it works and would be free!

Lindsay said...

We have had awesome luck this past week also. We had a pipe freeze and break (plumber wanted to charge $700 to repair...Ryan is going to figure out how to do it), then we got in our "fender-bender" on our way home from church (roughly $3000 damage on OUR car, luckily we have insurance but get to pay our $500 deductible. We still don't know the amount of damage to the 2 cars we hit). Jack and I were playing around and our heads collided the night before Christmas Eve. I thought for sure my nose was broken, but now after a week, I think it may be healing.

Maybe you and I have spent too much time playing together ;-). Our "luck" has been shared!

Hope things get better! For both of us.

Zappe Family said...

Wow. So sorry to hear about the bad luck. It stinks that it definitely has poured down on you and your family! On a happier note...I LOVED your musical numbers (duets) with Lindsay. I appreciate all the HARD work you both put into them. They are the highlight of the season to me! I admire it so much!!!

Bennett Family said...

what a BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've had a bird poop on my head TWICE...i think i'm pretty "lucky" too! :)

Sarah J. said...

Oh dang, Wendy. There's really no other way to say it other than "that sucks!" Hope you're luck is a'changin'!!!