Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Good crossword practice

If you don't know how hopelessly addicted to crossword puzzles I am, here's my confession. I keep a book of New York Times crosswords open on our kitchen table. The 2 out of 3 meals I eat alone are spent working on them. Words and trivia are fun and interesting for me.

While blog-hopping the other day I ran across someone who had this link listed. She called it "Free Rice Vocabulary." The name intrigued me so I checked it out. It is a vocabulary exercise and for every word you get right you donate 20 grains of rice to the hungry. It ranks your vocabulary level and you can set the options to keep track of your statistics. It is perfect for someone like me and I don't feel quite so bad wasting a few minutes with it because I am helping to feed the hungry.

Click on the link below and try it. No dictionaries allowed! My best level is 42 (of 50). There are quite a few words in each round so don't give up before it's over.

Free Rice

WARNING: This game may make you smarter. It may improve your speaking, writing, thinking, grades, job performance...

2 comments:

Bennett Family said...

not sure i dare try...i STINK at crossword puzzles! word searches...?? i tink i can HANDLE that!

Zappe Family said...

So I tried and will admit that I did horrible! Yikes. I need to improve my vocabulary, not that I'm too surprised though.