Years ago when I got my first cell phone, I got it mainly for emergencies. It gave me a sense of security knowing I could call for help if I had car trouble or call to have my grocery list read to me if I forgot it. Just for that reason the cell phone is a great invention. I think back to when my sister and I were attending Snow College, a 5 hour drive from home across the middle of nowhere, and wonder how my parents ever dared send us alone. A cell phone would have been great back then.
Now as a parent, the convenience of a cell phone means something entirely different to me. I can speak to my kids whenever I need to. I can remind them to come home for dinner, or tell them someone will be there to pick them up shortly, or they can call to let me know they will be a couple minutes late or that they've run out of gas on Hwy 18.
It not only gives me peace of mind that my children can reach me (and me, them) in an emergency, but it has brought us closer together. A few months ago I posted a blog about the picture game our family plays with the cell phones (Fun & Games). That's one way, but let me tell you about the biggie: Texting. This single feature has done more for our relationship than any one thing ever invented. My kids will tell me things in a text that they never would to my face. It's so sweet to get a text message at lunch time from school saying "I love you mom!" or, "Hey whatsup?" It's so great to know they actually think about me when they're away!
When Valerie went to college I got to talk to her pretty much every day, whether it was on the phone or by text. A lot of times the conversation would begin with, "Hey Mom, you wanna hear something really funny?" Now that she's home we don't use the cell phone much between us and I miss it.
Last night at midnight, Riley texted me from West Yellowstone where he was camping with the scouts. Everyone else was already asleep and he couldn't get to sleep. He was a bit spooked by the sounds so I kept a text conversation going with him until he eventually fell asleep. (At least I assumed he had fallen asleep. He could have been eaten by bears.) It was a sweet time even though he was 100s of miles away. This morning he told me he was turning his phone off to conserve battery power in case he needed me again. Awwww!
Gotta love those cell phones. For parents of teens, I would say they are a must. I'll bet whoever invented them never thought of his invention as a parenting tool. This could be a whole new line of marketing! If you ever see a cell phone commercial where a mother is texting her boy to sleep, you'll know where the idea came from!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Cell Phone Parenting
Posted by
Wendy
at
7/13/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I LOVE IT! You're great. :)
SO TRUE! i loved this post. very sweet-gives me hope for my boys when they become teenagers.
btw, i've been meaning to tell you how much we have enjoyed having valerie in our sunday school class-what a SHARP girl! :)
AND thank you for commenting on my BLOG posts from india! i'm glad someone is reading my long-winded posts. :)
PS...love your new background!!!
I'm so jealous! I haven't heard from Jordan. I am going to have to learn to text I guess. I have been a little intimidated by it. But I like the idea of texting my kids. Thank's for the idea. Now I hope they will actually text their mother!
You know that Ry guy is my fav SK8er type teenager. Give him my cell and I will text him from girls camp this week!!! Very cute post.
Great post! Isn't technology a great thing?! What did we do before cell phones?
what a sweet post. I still don't have a cell phone, but want one more and more. I'm just too dang cheap!! But I have been realizing as my kids get older how much more it's going to be a necessity. For now, we've got to work with our girlies on actually TALKING on any phone at all. Lydia's at grandma's house this week and won't talk to me. :) I guess that means she's having fun!
That's really sweet of your kiddos to call you and I never really thought of how wonderful a cell phone is until you pointed out how great it is! :)
BTW...Aaron and I watched the "Charlie bit me" video last night on Youtube. Hilarious! :) Thanks for sharing. Hopefully Allison won't get too bad!!
hmmm just checking sumfing
Post a Comment