Saturday, July 5, 2008

Boom Boom!

It has been a noisy week! We've had lots of thunder and lightning, which has been fun for us but not for poor Truman. He is terrified of thunder. Beats me why he can handle airplanes rumbling, cars backfiring and fireworks blasting, but not thunder. Even the most distant rumble sends him running into the house between my legs. Early Thursday morning, after a night of thunder, we finally had to give him a tranquilizer to settle him down. I felt bad because he was pretty wasted all day but at least it calmed him.

The fireworks didn't even faze 3 of our 4 animals, even when they started lighting them out front on our street. But let me tell you before I go any farther how sick of firecrackers and miscellaneous pops and bangs I am. It started yesterday morning and they didn't quit until after midnight. ALL DAY LONG! I would have to agree with Marc Reeves about the appeal of fireworks. He says he might as well roll a $20 bill up and light it. The only ones I care to see or hear are the big ones that should be detonated by some very mature person with a fire hose and an ambulance nearby.

Anyway, Katie happened to be outside when the firecrackers started popping and Riley's window, her way back into the house, was closed. Later in the day we realized she was out and started calling for her. As the evening became noisier I was more worried about her getting eaten by wild animals (have you seen the number of lost cat posters up in this place?) than I was of her being holed up and scared. Valerie kept going out and calling for her and finally at about 11:00 she found her cowering under our car. Today she is tired and jumps at any noise. Poor cat.

It's almost 1 p.m. and so far it has been a very quiet day. Let's hope it stays that way!

Thank you.

Update 4:45 p.m.: Well it seems I was too hasty in proclaiming 3 of our 4 pets fine when it came to the fireworks. For the last hour, somebody out front has been setting off the cheap kind that squeal and pop and those spinners that buzz, and I have had 2 rather large dogs shaking and trying to climb in my lap, and Katie has escaped again. I wonder if they would let me put ear plugs in their ears?

2 comments:

debi said...

I hate to see your comment section blank. We are still cleaning up from last night! Sheesh. Mostly because Lu lu opened a streamers one inside the living room!!

Zappe Family said...

Don't you love how it sounds like World War III out here when it's fireworks time??