Thursday, September 11, 2008

Invasion of the Cinnamon Rolls

We had an Enrichment Meeting on making yeast breads on Tuesday and we got to taste samples of all the breads that were brought.  After tasting some delicious cinnamon rolls, I decided the next day to make some myself with the same recipe.

The recipe said it made 12 - 18 rolls so I thought I would double it so I would have enough to put
 in the freezer for another time.  While doubling, I lost track of how many tablespoons of yeast I put in it and thought I needed one more.  I realized I had put in too much when the dough started rising in a fast, furious and violent way, spilling over the top of the bowl and onto the counter.  

At first I thought I would just have extra light and fluffy rolls but I decided to check my source of information on all things (the internet) and I learned that they would taste to yeasty.  So I put "the blob" in an extra large bowl and mixed up another batch, leaving out one tablespoon of 
yeast, then mixing it with the big batch.  

After that, I spent the rest of the afternoon rolling, cutting, baking and frosting, ending up with 
3 large cookie sheets, a 9x13 cake pan, and two round cake pans full of light, fluffy, scrumptious buns, totalling 9 dozen.  (And sadly not a one has raisins in it.)

I was too baked out to make dinner last night.  I made my family fend for
 themselves.  Today I will be packaging the rolls up and putting them in the freezer where they will be on hand for Riley's breakfast on the go, company, Sunday dessert or sweet tooth attacks.  If they last that long.


11 comments:

Rachel A said...

You're so funny. Very ambitious and I am sure you are pooped and never want to bake another cinnamon roll again.??!!!

Good for you. I was going to do the french bread and then realized I was too pooped to care.

Shannon said...

Yum! Sounds like you had made the perfect dinner....warm and yummy cin. rolls!

Zappe Family said...

Yummy! I was feeling the same urge yesterday too, but didn't do anything with it!

debi said...

If you run out of space you know where we live :)

Bennett Family said...

i was going to say the SAME THING as shannan! cinnamon rolls for dinner...PERFECT!!!

Sarah J. said...

Feel free to drop some by more doorstep if your freezer gets too full!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

They looked really good! That is way too funny! You know, you can freeze them in the rolled dough form before they rise and then bake them later on. I do that with homemade rolls al the time. I roll them out and then freeze them on a cookie sheet so they have time to freeze in the shape you want them. Then I take them out of the freezer an hour or two later and put them in a ziplock and then when I need homemade rolls, I pull them out, let them rise and wallaha! Homemade rolls or bread! I'm sure you could do the same with cinnamon rolls! I can't believe you had 9 dozen! I wish I could have gone to enrichment the other night. I had to coach soccer so weeknights are out for awhile for me!
hj

Ronda said...

Oh, Oh, competition! Your's look pretty GOOD!!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so much like something I would do! he he he! Think of it as a blessed day. . . you were "rolling in dough" ...at least for a day. I liked the tip hj gave about freezing the dough. Sounds like we could make our own Rhodes Rolls!

Tiffany said...

That sounds really yummy - please email me your recipe!!!

Rachael said...

yummy!! I adore cinnamon rolls. But that kind of production is as bad as canning!!