Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Important debate

Debi and I were shopping at Michael's last night and we saw these giant champagne glasses, much like the one on the left. Well, one of us said it was a brandy 'sniffer' and the other one of us said it was a brandy 'snifter.' We argued like sisters about who was right and before we resorted to hair pulling and scratching we decided to ask the cashier, who then asked another cashier and a couple of customers when she didn't know. We finally made a phone call to one of our dear husbands who looked it up for us and informed us that we were both right.

Now in my experience, sibling rivalry never ends in ties. Somebody is always right. In true oldest child fashion, I am fighting to the death, or until I'm right, whichever comes first, and I am counting on all of you to bring me out on top.

Which is it? S N I F F E R or S N I F T E R?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

going to have to go with f2 as I dont actually pronounce the t one.

Kelly Clark said...

Sniffer: a dog
Snifter: what the dog did

Anonymous said...

I have always heard it pronounced snifter but if I think long and hard about it that sounds kind of weird. I started second guessing myself. I would still go with snifter though. Unless that isn't the one you said it was ;)

Anonymous said...

Snifter with a T.

Sarah J. said...

neither... it's a glass. ;)

Rachael said...

that is so funny! Hmmm... I'm thinking i would've called it a goblet... :) Let me know who wins. and yes, I'm an oldest child, as well, so I believe that someone is always right. And that someone had better be me!