Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rhododendrons

When we moved here 4 years ago, there was a rhododendron bush in the corner in the back yard. It was about 2 feet tall and I had visions of it looking like this some day:

Within a few days however, these darlings had it chewed down to the ground. I have since learned that all parts of rhododendrons are poisonous to animals and I felt lucky that they didn't even get sick.

Four years later, it has grown up to about the size it was before the dogs got to it. Guess they learned their lesson because they haven't chewed on it since. This week, it bloomed for the first time ever! I took this picture yesterday. (Please ignore the slug holes.)

This was it this morning. My guess is that Truman happened to it during the night while jumping around chasing raccoons or possums or just being clutzy.

Here it is this afternoon. Does anybody know if it can be saved? Would anyone like a big orange dog?

7 comments:

Zappe Family said...

So sad about the rhodies! I have to admit that I'm not much of a rhododendron fan...but...the color of yours is beautiful.

We'll have to pass on the dog though... :)

Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry about your Rhodie...I get so protective of my plants, so I feel your pain! We've had a slug problem this year also! Good luck on placing your dog ;-).

Bennett Family said...

well, its a beautiful color and makes a LOVELY center piece! :)
i've never had much luck w/rhodies myself...so i'm not much help!

Kelly Clark said...

It's not fair that Truman take the fall for me, so I must confess. It was I who was barking and trying to get to the opossums. I got carried away in the moment and now I see my mistake.

Sorry Truman. You were sleeping soundly and are being blamed for my actions.

Anonymous said...

love the color! but up a white fence or and electric one to keep the dogs away let it grow i tell you!

Rachael said...

I love rhodies! I wish I had one in my yard, except that I have a fear of it getting TOO big for our little space. and if only I was a better gardener... too bad I don't have any tips for you!

Jolley Family said...

Those darn mutts! I think they need to go for more walks and let Jack chase them and tire them out! That is too bad! They're so cute though.......how can you stay mad?