Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bento

For Enrichment tonight, we made Bento lunches. Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. It can be very elaborately arranged. Contests are often held where homemakers can compete for the most aesthetically pleasing arrangements. The food is often decorated to look like people, animals, or characters and items such as flowers and plants. It was kind of fun to do. Here is mine that put I together.

Chopsticks at the top. Left to right- cucumbers with stars cut out and twice cooked pork stars inserted, kabob with tomato, mozzarella flower, green pepper, olive and cucumber star, molded rice panda with seaweed face and cheese ears, oriental salad, skewered chicken, boiled egg flower with tomato center and green pepper leaf, gyoza, ham "sushi", cheese and cucumber cut outs, Swedish fish and little graham crackers, fruit kabob with green grape, strawberry, red grape and cantaloupe heart. Grass border surrounding the lunch in a plastic box.

7 comments:

Kelly Clark said...

Looks yummy!

Nichole said...

Like the sorting of beads one by one I can totally see you doing this again! Yours looked great!

Ronda said...

So cute Wendy! Who taught you that??? She must be so creative!!! Your's turned out soooo cute! Was your family impressed? It was a lot of fun. So glad you came.

Wendy said...

I forgot to mention that my lovely and talented friend Ronda taught us how!

Zappe Family said...

How fun! Wish I could've made it. Now you'll have to teach me.

Anonymous said...

Looks more appealing than some of the bentos I have seen. Good Job!!! Jozu da ne! (Japanese for skillful)

Bennett Family said...

WOWZA! very cool! overwhelming, but very cool! (my pbj's pale in comparison!)