Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Trip to Logan

Last Friday Valerie and began the trek to Logan to move her to college. We traveled to Boise the first day and stayed the night there. While there we toured the Old Idaho Penitentiary that was used between the 1860s and 1973. It was very interesting and a little creepy.


The entrance.

A guard tower seen from the outside of the compound.

Valerie in solitary confinement.

Valerie escaping from solitary confinement.

Four tiers of cells in one of the cell houses.

A cell in the above cell house.
Entrances to the gallows witness room and death row.
A room on death row.
A dangerous looking prisoner.
Trap door seen from the room under the gallows.
On Saturday we drove to Logan and moved her in. We were so grateful to have Grandpa Young there to help with unloading the car.
We snagged one of the grocery carts for the last load. The previous umpteen loads we carried by hand.
Valerie entering her new home.
After we unloaded everything and had some lunch we went grocery shopping. Valerie learned early to make sure she keeps her key with her.
These pictures of her room were taken a day or 2 later when she had settled in. Valerie lives in the far end of the room.
After I left Valerie, I met up with Riley who was returning from Yellowstone and Island Park with a friend from Springville. I was so glad to have him with me for the long drive back. We drove back to Boise that afternoon and left for home the next morning.

We ran into very thick fog over the pass in Oregon. This picture doesn't even show the worst of it.

Valerie and I had taken the seats out of the van so we could load it with boxes. Riley and I had a picnic back there on the way home.

Being at home without Valerie has been hard for me. It's so quiet and lonely after having spent the summer with her. Each day gets a little easier and I'm grateful for my friends who have been so kind.

3 comments:

Sarah J. said...

Oh, I remember the first time my mom and dad took me to college. I was so excited yet sad at the same time. I don't know who had a harder time saying goodbye- me or them! I'm sure she's missing you immensely as well. You've raised her well though- I can tell. :)

Zappe Family said...

I'm sorry Valerie had to leave and I'm grateful that you made it home safely! Yes, add my blog to your list and I'll add yours too! Thanks for sharing!

Bennett Family said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG WENDY! Looks like you have had a fun summer. I remember saying those tearful goodbyes as well. I said "I can't wait to be OUTTA HERE" more times that I can count, but when it came down to it, I was SO homesick! It'll get better w/time. I added your link to my blogspot too! FUN! Niki